5 Surprising Things You Can Sous Vide: Gin
What is one to do when craving a gin cocktail but there’s only vodka in the liquor cabinet? Bring out the Anova Sous Vide device and in 90 seconds you have an amazing gin! Many people don’t realize that gin is simply infused vodka, predominantly with the flavor of juniper berries. All it takes is a few ounces of vodka, a few of your favorite spices, and a zip lock sandwich bag and in less than two minutes (plus chilling time) you’ll be sipping your own custom-made gin. We like a bright floral and peppery gin, so we infused ours with a blend of juniper berries, coriander, cardamom, orange zest, Grains of Paradise, and Tasmanian pepperberries. Tasmanian pepperberries lend a lightly floral and peppery bite. It can be used in place of black pepper but with a very light hand. In this case, we use only one pepperberry for a subtle taste, but add one more if you’d like your gin a bit more on the peppery side. Grains of Paradise also have a lovely pepper-cardamom flavor. Look for both of these spices in your local spice shop or order them online at World Spice. Alternatively, you can use black peppercorns and an additional cardamom pod to achieve a similar flavor. Ingredients
- 3 ounces vodka
- 8 juniper berries
- 10-12 coriander seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- Grains of Paradise 1 Tasmanian pepperberry (optional)
- Zest of one orange
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 176°F/80°C.
- Combine ingredients in a small zip lock bag and place in prepared water bath for 90 seconds.
- After 90 seconds, immediately transfer to a bowl of ice and massage bag to infuse the liquid even further.
- Once chilled, remove from ice, strain through a fine mesh strainer and enjoy in your favorite gin cocktail