5 Surprising Things You Can Sous Vide: Limoncello
You’ve heard about cooking sous vide with steak, seafood, veggies, and fruits; all of the everyday basics, perfectly prepared to their ideal temperature. However, we wanted to take a look at some of the lesser known items you can prepare using the Precision Cooker. We worked with our friends at Foodista to curate and create a list of 5 of our favorite surprising things you can sous vide. We’ll post one each day for the next 5 days, giving you ample time to try them all! For our first post, given that it’s now Spring and we all could use a refreshing break from the day, we picked Limoncello! Limoncello (pronounced lee-mohn-CHEH-loh), a beautifully sweet Italian digestif, is easy and so inexpensive to produce it’s a wonder why we don’t make it year-round. The rinds from lemons are combined with vodka (or grappa) and simple syrup then set to mature for 40 to 60 days. Well, sometimes we simply cannot wait that long to enjoy one of our favorite spirits! Fortunately, you can accelerate this process by using you Anova Precision Cooker and sous vide your limoncello in just 2 hours! Try this with regular lemons, Meyer lemons, or a combination of the two. Easy 2-Hour Sous Vide Limoncello Makes 2 quarts (1.8 liters)
- 10 fresh lemons, preferably organic
- 1 quart vodka
- 1 quart water
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar, such as castor
- Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 135F/57C.
- Thoroughly wash lemons in hot water to remove wax; pat dry.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest in strips from the lemons, taking care to avoid any of the white pith as this will make your limoncello bitter. Save lemons for future use.
- Place zest strips into a gallon size zip lock bag. Add the vodka and seal the bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Place bag in the 135°F bath and set timer for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once sugar has completely dissolved, set aside and allow to cool.
- When the lemon-vodka mixture is finished, strain into a pitcher or large bowl. Stir in the simple syrup until well combined then pour into clean bottles with tight fitting caps.
- Chill well before enjoying and serve in small glasses.
- Cheers and enjoy!