"Love at first cook!" This is how Abby Allen describes her first experience with her Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker
. Having had an appreciation for good food since childhood, when she unwrapped her new toy on Christmas of 2016, she saw her culinary horizons expand in ways she never imagined. Read along for Abby's killer sous vide scallops recipe and learn how she uses Anova to excel in preparing meals she never dreamed of serving.
"Family meals were of the utmost importance"
Growing up in a household where everyone was always heading in a different direction, whether it be sports practices, work, school, and more, Abby said healthy and readily available meals were encouraged. From this, she learned how important eating together, even sometimes in a car on the go, can be.
When she moved onto college, she missed these meals and sense of togetherness, and enlisted a few friends to start cooking. They quickly started enjoying homemade meals right on campus, much to the envy of the ramen-junkie students she shared classes with.
Anova Love Affair
After attending a dinner party at a friends' home early in 2016, Abby's eyes were opened to the power of Anova. They dined on delicious sous vide short ribs that had been soaking for 48 hours, and Abby was hooked. She was blown away by the tenderness, and marveled at the flavor.
Fast forward to Christmas later that year, and Abby's boyfriend bestowed on her the best gift ever. From that moment on, she has been cranking out top-notch meals night after night.
From juicy and tender pork chops, to succulent seafood, Abby lets her imagination run wild and delivers restaurant-quality meals on the regular. With no formal training whatsoever, she credits cooking with low and slow precise temps in allowing her to shine so bright.
Sous Vide Scallops with Lemon Herb Salsa Verde
A perfect scallop is hard to nail using traditional methods. Abby uses Anova to ensure it's perfectly-prepared to a precise temp, and then gives it a quick sear for some color. No guessing games. Just perfectly cooked every time. Get the full recipe below and cook like a pro!
What you'll need:
- 8 Sea Scallops, side muscle removed
- Pink Himalayan Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee or butter
- 1/4 Cup of Fresh Cilantro, Parsley, Chives and Basil, roughly chopped
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Small Shallot, minced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
1. Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 123.8°F / 51°C
2. Season your scallops on both sides with salt and pepper and place in a ziplock bag in a single layer and pour in 1 tbsp olive oil.
3. Place the Scallops into your water bath using the water immersion method and set the timer for 30 minutes.
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and add the Ghee/butter
2. Prepare your Salsa Verde. Add your chopped herbs into a bowl with the shallot, garlic and lemon juice and stir to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes to meld and then mix in the 1/4 cup olive oil and set aside.
3. When the timer goes off, remove scallops from the water bath and take them from the bag and carefully place them on a plate and pat dry.
4. When the Ghee or butter is melted, add the Scallops, one at a time and cook for 45 seconds on each side.
5. Serve with salsa verde and enjoy!
Time to Eat!
Be sure to check out Abby's super-simple scallop recipe
, available on the Anova recipes site
as well as on your Anova Culinary App
. Give Abby a follow on Instagram @ab_mia
for more #anovafoodnerd inspiration!