When you think of whipping up custard for dessert, your first thoughts may shift to how finicky and difficult those can be to pull off perfectly. Traditional cooking methods leave too much to chance. Overcook the custard and you have scrambled eggs. Undercook it? It's a runny mess. Erika Turk has solved this problem and is bringing delicious dessert to the table AND making it easier than ever. She uses Anova
to keep the temp constant and precise, ensuring the results are spectacular time after time. Check out the full guide to perfect sous vide chocolate pot de creme below.
Sous Vide Chocolate Pot De Creme
What you'll need:
- 2 bars (180 grams/6.3 oz) Green & Black's Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate (or your choice of 70% cacao dark chocolate)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 7 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 162°F / 72.2°C
2. In a small saucepan, combine heavy cream and dark chocolate. Heat over medium heat until the chocolate is mostly melted, then whisk until very well combined and fully melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Separate egg yolks and place into a large bowl or container. Add sugar and salt to the egg yolks and whisk together.
4. Add egg yolk mixture to chocolate cream mixture and whisk until very well incorporated. Ladle the mixture into jars (will make about 5 (8 oz) portions).
5. Carefully lower the jars into the bath with tongs or a spoon and cook for 90 minutes.
1. Remove from water bath and refrigerate for 6 hours up to overnight. Serve topped with whipped cream and berries (optional but makes it better).
Dig in and enjoy!
Next time dessert is on the menu, wow your dinner guests with this rich, creamy, and decadent dessert. Get the full recipe for sous vide chocolate pot de creme here
, also available on the Anova Recipes Site
and the Anova Culinary App
. Happy cooking, nerds!