Coffee aficionados worldwide have long embraced the chilled-out allure of cold brew coffee. Its rich, smooth flavor and lower acidity make it a beloved choice for those seeking a refreshing yet caffeinated pick-me-up. Traditionally, crafting cold brew involved at least 12 hours of steeping grounds in water at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Today we’re going to show you how to use a sous vide circulator to accelerate the cold brew process drastically, without compromising the quality.
Why use sous vide for cold brew?
With traditional cold brewing methods, patience is paramount. Steeping coffee grounds for 12 to 24 hours is typical, requiring meticulous planning and anticipation. Sous vide comes to the rescue by accelerating this process significantly. By gently heating the water to a controlled temperature, the Anova Precision Cooker reduces the steeping time to as little as 2 to 4 hours. This means you can enjoy your cold brew on the same day without sacrificing flavor or quality.
The sous vide technique allows for improved extraction of the coffee's flavor compounds. The precision cooker maintains a consistent temperature throughout the brewing process, ensuring that every particle of ground coffee is thoroughly saturated. The extended contact time between the water and coffee grounds maximizes flavor extraction, resulting in a robust and well-rounded cold brew.
Smooth and Balanced Flavor:
Cold brew enthusiasts appreciate its naturally low acidity and smooth flavor profile. With sous vide, you can achieve an even smoother and more balanced brew. The low and controlled temperature of the water bath minimizes the release of bitter compounds that can occur with higher temperatures. As a result, sous vide cold brew is exceptionally mellow, highlighting the coffee's delicate nuances and providing a delightful sensory experience.
Convenience and Consistency:
The sous vide circulator ensures precision and consistency every time you make cold brew. Ultra-precise temperature control eliminates the need for constant monitoring and guesswork, guaranteeing that your cold brew turns out perfectly, batch after batch. The Anova Precision® Cooker can also be easily set up in any container, allowing you to tailor the brewing quantity to your needs.
How to Make Sous Vide Cold Brew:
- 1/2 cup fresh coarse-ground coffee
- 4 cups water
- Pro-tip: This recipe can be scaled up infinitely depending on your needs.
- Sous vide circulator + pot or container
- Glass jar(s)
- Pour-over coffee filter (or French press pot)
- Grind your favorite coffee beans to a coarse consistency.
- Fill a heat-resistant container with water and attach the Anova Precision Cooker to the side.
- Set your sous vide circulator to 150°F and preheat the water bath.
- Add the ½ cup fresh coffee grounds and 4 cups water to a mason jar and seal the top.
- Once your sous vide bath has reached the target temp (150°F), set the timer for 2 to 4 hours and place your sealed jar of coffee and water into the sous vide container.
- When the timer goes off, carefully remove the jar from the sous vide container (It will be hot.) and unscrew the lid.
- Using a pour-over coffee filter or French press, strain the grounds from the jar of coffee into another jar or container for storage.
- Serve over ice immediately, or store in the fridge until cool and serve as desired.
- Store any remaining cold brew in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Tips for serving:
- This method results in a fairly concentrated brew. Feel free to dilute with additional water to taste, or as necessary when serving.
- Serving over ice with your choice of half and half, milk, or non-dairy creamer is key for that full-on cafe experience.
So if you're a coffee enthusiast seeking a quicker, more efficient cold brew method without sacrificing flavor, sous vide is an absolute game-changer. The Anova Precision® Cooker allows you to unlock the full potential of your coffee beans, creating a smooth, balanced, and flavorful cold brew in a fraction of the time required by traditional methods. Be sure to take a photo of your results and tag us (@anovaculinary and #anovafoodnerd) online. Hopefully, this super-cool sous vide hack will have you impressing friends and sipping on our favorite cold, caffeinated drink well into summer.