Hanger steak is often our go-to cut of beef. It’s a great value and it’s incredibly versatile. We eat it grilled with salt and pepper, on sandwiches, in tacos, on flatbreads with gorgonzola. The list goes on. Now that we have the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker
to play with, we can cook perfect results every time. For our first go-round, we made Sous Vide Hanger Steak with Chimichurri Sauce — an Argentinian green sauce made with fresh herbs, garlic, vinegar, and oil. This impressive hanger steaksous vide
preparation is a great recipe to keep in your back pocket for a dinner party, as it will always please your guests (as long as they're not vegetarians). Read on for the perfect Sous Vide Hanger Steak recipe
, along with a super-simple recipe for chimichurri sauce. Sous Vide Hanger Steak with Chimichurri Sauce Serves:
4 Active Time:
15 minutes Total Time:
4.25 hours Temp:
130°F (55°C) Finishing step:
Sear in a pan or on a hot grill.
- 1 hanger steak (aka hanging tender), about 1.5 pounds, trimmed, middle sinew removed, and cut into two long pieces.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Chimichurri sauce (recipe below)
Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 130°F (55°C). Seal the steak and cook for four hours.
Remove the steak from the bag and pat dry. Rub with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Heat your grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet to high (600-700 degrees). Sear on each side, about 1-2 minutes total.
Remove the steak from the grill and let rest for at least five minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and serve with chimichurri sauce.
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Add to a medium mixing bowl, stir, and serve. This can be covered and refrigerated for up to four days.