Tired of soggy pickles? Frustrated with needing to sterilize your mason jars in boiling hot water and nearly burning yourself? Pickle any hardy vegetable with a couple easy ingredients, mason jars, and of course --- your Anova Precision® Cooker. This “low temperature” method keeps the crunch of your veggies in tact!
Sous Vide Pickles
- What you need: - ANOVA Immersion Circulator
- Deep enough vessel for jars
- Quart Sized Mason Jars (Wide Mouth is easier to use)
- Canning Funnel (optional, but makes filling the jars much easier)
- Large mixing bowl (for brine)
- Food scale
- 400G Vinegar (your choice)*
- 400G Water*
- Up to 80G Granulated Sugar (optional)*
- 20G pickling or kosher salt (cannot be iodized)*
- Your choice of herbs/spices (garlic, onions, dill, peppercorns, bay leaves etc.)
- Fill vessel with water and set ANOVA to 140°F
- Check and clean Mason Jars. a. Make sure there are no chips or cracks in the glass. b. Replace any warped or bent lids and rings. c. Clean with soap and hot water.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Whisk to dissolve. a. TIP: Heat water in electric kettle to expedite the dissolving of the solids.
- Clean and cut the hardy vegetable of your choice (cucumbers, green beans, carrots etc.)
- Fill jars with chosen herbs/spices
- Fill jars with vegetables. a. Leave space for brine to cover vegetables fully.
- Fill jars with brine. a. Fill until first ring on Mason Jar. b. If brine doesn’t cover, add water until it does.
- Tighten jars to fingertip tightness. a. Any tighter and you risk jar breakage in the water bath.
- Place jars into 140°F preheated water bath. a. Water should fully cover jars.
- Set timer for 2hr 30min. 11. Go clean your house, run a couple errands, or watch a movie… Whatever you want.
- When time has elapsed, carefully lift jars out of water bath.
- Allow to cool overnight on counter.
- Ready to eat. Chill in fridge. Due to acidity, it should be shelf stable up to 6 months. Because this isn’t “true canning” I prefer to keep these pickles in the fridge to be safe.