It’s more than just a cheap college eat, ramen has gained popularity worldwide in the food scene, and for good reason. Rich broth, creamy eggs, and the most insane pork belly topping make for a meal to remember. But let’s be honest...it’s a bit of a chore to cook and assemble all those ingredients at home. Sometimes it’s easier to go out and pay $15 for a bowl of the slurp-worthy soup - but save your cash and whip up a better version at home.
With the Anova Precision Cooker making ramen is easier than ever. Using the Anova Precision Cooker you can make perfectly cooked pork belly and eggs, and even keep your broth hot until it’s time to assemble!
We invited #anovafoodnerds, Andrea Wilkinson and Steve Phan, to the Anova Kitchen and let them whip up their favorite ramen recipe, and the results were spectacular. Peep the video below to see them in action, and read how our ramen nerd Steve Phan tackled the task.https://youtu.be/ZnFEmzaF5vs
#anovafoodnerd Steve Phan
“I was definitely a little worried at first. I had never made ramen (at least not from a bag/cup) so doing it sous vide style was a bit daunting at first. However, once I looked around and thought about it made sense, just like when I cook anything else with my Anova. I can start cooking the protein ahead of time and/or while I am working on my other dishes. When the pork was ending the cook, I got the eggs going in the sous vide as well, all I really had to worry about was the broth and ramen noodles. For my first time actually making ramen, I was very happy with how it turned out and it definitely gave me the confidence to make it again. The ramen that we made not only looked good, but it tasted good too!”
Wanna make ramen like a boss? Follow this guide!
What you’ll need to make 2-3 hearty bowls:
- 1 lb pork belly, skin on for best results because crunchy pork skin is the best
- 3 eggs
- Dried ramen noodles (the cheapest ones work great here...promise!)
- Beef or chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Bowl of ice water
- Whatever else you like!
- This is focused on the pork and egg, so feel free to experiment with many other toppings/add ins. If you want to get super fancy with your broth, we highly recommend Momofuku’s ramen broth recipe.
- Set Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 167°F / 75°C
- Season pork belly liberally with salt (try a little sugar here too! It’s good)
- Place pork in a resealable ziploc bag or vacuum bag
- Sous Vide for 10-12 hours.
- With about an hour left in the cook, assemble all your other ingredients.
- Build your broth by using chicken or beef stock, adding soy sauce, salt, mirin, fish sauce, etc etc. This is totally to your taste. Either heat on stove top, or add to a ziploc bag and submerge in the water bath with pork
- Heat noodles as instructed on your package.
- With 13 minutes left in the pork cook, gently place the eggs (still in shell) into the water bath. Cook for 13 minutes. Remove eggs and place in ice water for 5 min.
- Remove pork from water bath and dry pork well with a paper towel.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sear pork, skin side down until skin is golden and crunchy.
- Ladle broth and noodles into a bowl, top with green onion, crack egg, top with pork belly and dig in!