Serves 2 - full ingredients list and method at the end
This take on a niçoise salad is just as light and refreshing as it is indulgent and filling. And that's because fresh flavours are combined with a whole hunk-a meaty tuna, a deliciously creamy sous vide egg and a couple of potato chunks for good measure.
Start off by setting your sous vide machine to 75C and putting two eggs in for a good 15 minutes. Then cut up potatoes into bite-sized pieces and put them in a pot of boiling water with some salt. You'll want to cook these until a fork goes through them easily. When they're done, drain the water, sprinkle a bit of salt on them and put them aside to cool.
Next chop up the tomatoes and red onion (you can also halve the olives if you like) and combine them in a bowl with the lettuce, which you can just tear as opposed to chop. With a fork, whisk up the oil, vinegar and salt and pepper dressing in another bowl and set aside.
Then, when the eggs are done, take them out, de-shell them and cut them in half.
For tips on how to get your sous vide egg out of the shell, check out my two-minute how-to video!
Now it's time to sear the tuna steaks, so generously season them with salt and pepper while you heat up a pan with some butter in it.
When the pan's hot, sear the outside of the tuna (just the outside, the middle should still be raw - see the photo below). You can see how fast the tuna's cooking by the grey coming up the side of the them as they cook. You don't want that grey to be any more than a few millimetres. Sear all the sides, not just the top and bottom. Then carefully slice them into thin pieces and get ready to plate everything up.
Dress the salad - saving two tablespoons for a drizzle on the tuna at the end - and put it on a plate. Then lay the anchovies on top and then the tuna on top of that. Place the egg on the side of the plate, drizzle the remaining dressing on the tuna, season the whole lot with salt and pepper and you're done!
Tuna Niçoise Salad With Sous Vide Egg
- 2 tuna steaks (take them out of the fridge 10 mins before)
- 2 eggs cooked for 15 minutes at 75C
- Couple of handfuls of a lettuce of your choice
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 of a red onion, julienned
- Handful of pitted black olives
- 8 anchovies
- Knob of butter
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Set the sous vide machine to 75C for 15 minutes and place your eggs inside
- Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and boil with a little salt until a fork goes through them easily, then drain and salt
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork
- Combine all salad ingredients in another bowl: potatoes (once cool), cherry tomatoes, red onion and olives
- Take eggs out when done, de-shell and cut in half
- Generously season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper
- Heat up a pan with butter in it, and when hot, sear the tuna steaks on all sides
- Dress the salad (saving 2 tablespoons of the dressing to drizzle on top of the tuna at the end) and put the salad on the plates
- Lay anchovies on top
- Slice tuna and put on top
- Drizzle a little dressing on top of the tuna
- Place an egg on the side of each plate
- Season with salt and pepper and you're done!