Good things come in pairs, and this duo of buffalo chicken wings and buffalo cauliflower pizza recipe joins the precision of Anova sous vide cooking with the power of Ooni flame cooking for the ultimate tender, fiery combo. Thanks to Ooni ambassador Josh Tahan (@truecraftbbq), creating these jaw-dropping wings and this mouth-watering pizza at home is easy. And don't forget about the homemade Buffalo Sauce either – you’ll never want store-bought again!
And just in case Josh's recipe inspiration isn't enough - Anova + Ooni are dedicating 5% of sales made from our websites from July 20th - July 27th* to support two causes close to our heart, La Cocina and Action Against Hunger. Join us in giving back while cooking like a pro.
- Anova Precision Cooker
- 2 canning or mason jars
- Large stock pot or container for water
IngredientsServes 2-3 people
For the wings35oz (1kg) Chicken wings Head of cauliflower salt/pepper/olive oil
For the homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 12 red chili peppers, deseeded and finely chopped.
- 20oz, white distilled vinegar
- Bulb of garlic
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tbsp cold water
OR substitute homemade with plenty of your favourite Hot Buffalo Sauce
For the Pizza
- 8.8oz (250g) classic pizza dough ball
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 Tbsp blue cheese, crumbled
MethodYou’ll need to prepare this recipe well ahead of time, start at least 1 day before you’re ready to cook your wings. Prepare your pizza dough ahead of time. To make a 12" pizza, we recommend preparing pizza dough balls that are 8.8oz (250g) each – our guide to making the perfect Classic Pizza Dough covers everything you need to know. If you’re using store-bought buffalo sauce, skip step two.
Step 1: Sous vide your chicken wings
- Preheat a water bath with your Anova Precision Cooker and set to 160°F/71°C.
- Once your water bath has reached 160°F/71°C, season your chicken wings with a bit of salt, add to a vacuum seal bag, seal, and drop into the water bath. Set a timer for two hours.
- When the two hour timer is complete, remove the jars using tongs and place on a wire rack or trivet. Remove the chicken from the bag and place on a wire rack inside a foiled pan to cool down.
- Place the uncovered chicken in your refrigerator to rest overnight. This will help create a nice crisp skin when cooking the next day. IF you are short of time - you can skip this though!
Step 2: prepare your sauce
- Preheat a water bath with your Anova Precision Cooker and set to 160°F/71°C. This can be done at the same time as step
- While the water is preheating, place your seeded and chopped chili peppers into two 16oz canning jars. Top each jar with white distilled vinegar, leaving about an inch of space toward the mouth of the jar. Finger-tighten the lids and place both jars into the water bath, while the water is about 120°F/49°C. Adding jars to the water bath at this time is an important step – glass may break if exposed to extreme temperature swings. This allows the glass and its content to slowly come up to temperature together.
- Once the temperature hits 160°F/71°C in your water bath, set a timer for two hours. You can do this at the same time as you add your chicken wings.
- While your peppers and chicken are cooking, preheat your conventional oven to 400°F/204°C. Remove the papery outer layers of your garlic, but leave the bulb intact. Cut about a half inch off from the top of the bulb so the cloves are exposed. Drizzle the top with ½ tsp of olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 mins, remove the foil and scoop out the cloves. You’ll need 4 of the roasted cloves for the buffalo sauce.
- You can either set your chili peppers overnight at room temperature, or, after 1-2 hours place them in the refrigerator overnight – remember, drastic temperature changes can cause glass to crack!
- On day 2, remove your jars of pepper and vinegar from the fridge. Add your 4 roast garlic cloves with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper to a blender and add the content from both jars. Run the blender for about 1-2 minutes. Strain the mixture well and pour back into your empty jars.
- Add 8oz/226g of your freshly mixed buffalo sauce to a small saucepan and heat until simmering. Mix 1 tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tbsp of cold water in a small bowl, and add to your simmering liquid. Turn the stove off and mix well for 1 minute. The sauce should reduce and thicken during this time. (The remaining, unthickened sauce will stay fresh for months in the fridge)
- Pour the thickened sauce into a clean jar or container and place in your refrigerator until you’re ready to cook.
Step 3: Wing and pizza day!
- On day 2, preheat your water bath with your Anova Precision Cooker to 185°F/85°C.
- Core and cut your cauliflower florets into wings. If you want to serve the cauliflower in lieu of traditional Buffalo wings, leave them as whole florets. If topping a pizza with them, cut the florets in half, length-wise.
- Take a few ounces of the buffalo sauce and toss with the cauliflower florets to evenly coat. Seal the cauliflower ‘wings’ in a bag and place into your water bath for 40 minutes.
- After 40 mins, remove the cauliflower and leave in your refrigerator until you’re ready to cook.
- When you’re ready to cook, fire up your Ooni pizza oven. Aim for around 600-800˚F (320-420˚C) on the stone baking board inside. You can check the temperature inside your Ooni quickly and easily using the Ooni Infrared Thermometer.
- Place your Cast Iron Pan into the oven. While it’s preheating, remove your wings, thickened buffalo sauce and cauliflower from the fridge.
- Melt 3 tbsp of butter and add to your buffalo sauce, stir well.
- Remove your preheated cast iron pan from the oven and add your chicken and cauliflower wings. Cook for 2-3 minutes, making sure to flip and turn the wings regularly with tongs. Remove the pan and place your wings in a bowl. Dollop over a generous portion of your buffalo sauce and toss the wings to coat evenly. Return the wings to the cast iron in the oven and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, flipping and turning continuously for an even cook.
- After 5-6 minutes total cooking time, remove the pan from the oven and set aside. Wrap the wings in foil to keep warm while you prepare your cauliflower pizza.
- Using a small amount of flour, dust your Ooni pizza peel. Stretch the pizza dough ball out and lay it out on your pizza peel. Spread an even layer of crumbled blue cheese across the base of your pizza, then add your halved buffalo cauliflower wings. Finish with a generous drizzle of your buffalo sauce
- Slide the pizza off the peel and into your Ooni pizza oven. Cook for 1-2 minutes, making sure to turn the pizza regularly for an even cook.
- Once the pizza is cooked, remove from the oven and top with a handful of freshly shaved celery. Season with a little pepper..
- Plate your buffalo Chicken wings and slice your buffalo cauliflower pizza. Serve with a selection of fresh veggies and your favorite dips. Cool, creamy pairings like blue cheese/ranch dip work perfectly to balance the fiery heat of the buffalo sauce!