Food brings people together, it's a fact of life. Well, over that past few months we've been making GREAT friends with what we'd say is the foodspace peanut butter to our jelly, the wine to our cheese, the pepperoni to our pizza – Ooni.
Based across the pond in Scotland, they make high powered (open flame) pizza ovens small enough to toss in your closet and powerful enough to crank out more Neapolitan style pizzas than you could ever hope to eat in a single evening. We know that good things come in pairs, and when you combine two forces like the Anova Precision Cooker and Ooni pizza oven, you're bound to get epic results - like this recipe for perfectly cooked steak from Ooni Ambassador and #anovafoodnerd Josh Tahan (@truecraftbbq).
Taking the time to brine your steaks, followed by a sous vide cook allows for perfect doneness whatever the size or cut. With a seared flame-cooked finish in Ooni pizza ovens, there’s no better way to achieve that caramelized, beautifully seared crust that covers tender and succulent meat throughout.
And just in case Josh's recipe inspiration isn't enough - Anova + Ooni are dedicating 5% of sales made from our websites from July 20th - July 27th* to support two causes close to our heart, La Cocina and Action Against Hunger. Join us in giving back while cooking like a pro.
- Anova Precision® Cooker
- Ooni Pizza Oven
- Ooni Dual Sided Grizzler Plate/Ooni Grizzler Pan
- 2 thick cut steaks
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 roasted garlic cloves
- 3.5oz (100g) soft butter
- Dry brine your steaks by seasoning each liberally with kosher salt. Place the steaks on a wire rack inside a foiled pan and leave in your refrigerator for 2 hours. The dry brining allows flavor to penetrate through the entire steak – top to bottom. There’s no need to season the steaks with anything else at this stage as the extreme heat from your Ooni pizza oven might burn any additional flavors.
- While the steaks are brining, get your Anova Precision® Cooker’s water bath up to 130°F (55˚C), for medium rare steaks.
- After the 2 hour dry brine, remove the steaks and add into a vacuum seal bag, seal, and drop into the water bath. Set a timer for 3 hours.
- When you have about 20-30 minutes left on your timer, Fire up your Ooni pizza oven. Aim for 752˚F (400˚C) on the stone baking board inside. You can check the temperature inside your Ooni quickly and easily using the Ooni Infrared Thermometer.
- Place your Dual Sided Grizzler Plate inside the oven to preheat, with the Grizzler side facing up.
- Once the 3 hour time has elapsed, remove the steaks from your water bath and bags, pat them dry and place on a clean plate or cutting board. The steaks are totally cooked by this stage - so no need to worry about cross-contamination.
- Make sure your Grizzler plate is sizzling hot - you need extreme high temperatures to properly sear the steak for the perfect finish!
- Add the steaks to the cast iron pan and cook inside your Ooni for 2 minutes. Check for colour and crust development on the side of the steak that’s facing down. If it’s to your liking, flip and cook for a further 2 minutes
- When the steaks are cooked to your taste, remove and let rest on a cutting board. Now it’s time to add the additional flavor – this can be your favourite steak rub, salt/pepper and garlic, or even a knob of butter if you’re feeling indulgent (you know you want to…). Our personal favourite is to mix freshly chopped herbs (parsley, rosemary and thyme) and roast garlic into softened butter
- After a 5 minute rest, your steaks are ready to serve! Remember, your steaks are perfectly cooked from the sous vide process. Using the Ooni for a final flame-cooked finish creates that awesome crust and colour that makes an epic steak
- The major benefit of cooking steak with both your Anova and your Ooni is that it allows you to cook a variety of cuts and different thicknesses at the same time, and each steak will be evenly cooked throughout no matter how thick - ensuring they’ll all come out perfect.