Crispy, crunchy, and oh-so-juicy. That's what carnitas should be. The problem is they can get super-dry when cooked traditionally. #anovafoodnerd Becky DeRuiter has unlocked the secret to perfect carnitas, and the answer is Anova
. Check out the step-by-step guide below and serve up the most delicious carnitas ever.
Sous Vide Carnitas
What you'll need:
- 6 pound pork shoulder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 oranges, juiced (peels reserved)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Anise
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
1. Set Anova Precision Cooker to 175°F / 79.4°C.
2. In small bowl add orange juice, garlic, salt, brown sugar, and Anise.
3. Place pork in vacuum bag. If necessary, you can split the pork into two pieces and use two bags. Pour orange juice mixture pork.
4. Add onions, bacon, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks to bag.
5. Seal bag. Place in water bath and cook for 20 hours.
1. When the timer goes off, remove bag from water bath. Strain juice into separate bowl. Place a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat and add pork to pan while shredding. Sear over medium-high heat until pork is crispy. Add juices from bag to pork as necessary.
2. Serve in tacos, use in quesadilla, burrito bowls, or however you choose! Options are a-plenty!
Ready to chow down?
Serve these bad boys on tacos, quesadillas, or serve the best burrito bowls ever. Options are limitless! You can find the full recipe for Becky's killer carnitas here
, also available on the Anova Recipes Site
, and the Anova Culinary App